How to forward IM chat messages to your mobile phone How to forward IM chat messages to your mobile phone
Follow the steps below to get Skype IMs (also known as text chat messages, or chat messages) forwarded to your mobile phone (i.e. read to you) when you are away from your desk, or optionally via SMS. (These steps assume you have Outlook installed – see Skylook prerequisites for details)
1. Follow these instructions to set up Skype if you don’t already use it.
2. To have email forwarded to your phone, you will need to purchase some Skype Credit if you don’t already have some. You can buy Skype Credit here.
3. If you don’t already have Skylook, download and install it from here.
4. Start Outlook. If you are running Skylook for the first time, you will see the Skylook licensing wizard and the Skylook Welcome wizard. Follow the prompts to set Skylook up according to your preferences.
5. Click the “Alerts>Advanced Alerts…” button in the Skylook toolbar:
6. Choose “Skype Text Messages” as shown below, then click “Next”.
7. Click “Next” to accept the default settings on this page:
8. Fill in the following page as shown (using your mobile phone number instead of the one shown), then click “Next”. (NOTE: This will set Skylook up to forward each IM to you via Voice – i.e. the message will be read to you over the phone. If you would prefer to receive an SMS instead, choose the “SMS” option below).
9. Click “Next” to accept the following defaults, or alter the settings according to your preference:
10. Click “Next” to accept the following defaults, or alter the settings according to your preference
11. Enter a name for this alert like the one shown below, then click “Finish”.
12. To test IM forwarding, set your Skype status to “Away” by clicking the bottom left hand corner of the Skype application as shown below, so that Skylook thinks you are away from your PC:
13. Now have someone send you an instant message via Skype.
14. Soon after the message appears on your screen, your mobile phone will ring. Answer it to listen to the IM.
15. If you did not receive the phone call, check the Outlook inbox. If Skylook had problems calling your mobile phone (e.g. if the number is invalid), the details of the problem are placed in a new inbox item for you to review.
16. Once you’ve finished trying this, don’t forget to set your Skype status back to “Online”. By default, Skype switches your status to “Away” automatically if your computer is left idle for more than five minutes. (Note: You may wonder what happens with instant messages that come in during the five minute gap – don’t worry, Skylook forwards these messages also, as soon as Skype switches your status to “Away”).
If you need additional help, just email us at email@example.com for assistance.