How to keep a record of your phone calls in the Outlook Journal How to keep a record of your phone calls in the Outlook Journal
Here is how to keep a permanent record of all your phone calls in the Outlook Journal.
Following the steps below will allow you to:
- Make and receive phone calls using just your PC and a broadband internet connection.
- Automatically create a journal entry for each call you make or receive.
- Record all calls in the journal or only calls to and from certain contacts.
- Group important contacts’ calls together with their emails, text chat messages, voice mail messages and more.
- Easily enter notes about each call, during or after the call, and search for calls based on these notes later on
- Keep a recording of each call as an MP3 attachment, accessible from the journal entry for the call.
Here are the steps:
(These steps assume you have Outlook, Skype and Skylook installed – see Skylook prerequisites for details)
1. Follow these instructions to set up Skype if you don’t already use it.
2. If you don’t already have Skylook, download and install it from here.
3. Start Outlook. If you are running Skylook for the first time, you will see the Skylook licensing wizard and the Skylook Welcome wizard. Follow the prompts to set up Skylook the way you want.
4. On the Skylook toolbar, select “Tools > Options”.
5. Select the “Journal” tab. Your options window should look something like this:
6. Check the box “Automatically create Outlook journal items…”.
7. Set the other options the way you would like them, then click OK.
8. Start making phone calls using Skype and Skylook. (NOTE: You can make calls directly from Skype if you wish – calls are recorded to the journal regardless of whether they are started from Outlook or not, as long as Outlook is running).
9. Each call you make to the contacts you selected above is now recorded in the Outlook journal. You can now use Outlook’s powerful journal features to organize and manage your call history – for example you can sort or group the journal entries by contact to see all of your communications with a particular contact at once.
10. Each journal entry also contains a link to an item in the Skylook Conversations folder, which contains a full recording of the call. To access the recording, first double-click the journal item, then double-click the shortcut icon that appears in the body of the journal item.
11. To see how to take notes on each call and store them in each call’s journal entry, click here. The notes you enter are automatically copied to the journal entry.
As you can see from the options window above, Skylook also allows you to store text chat messages, voice mail messages, missed calls and outgoing SMS messages to the journal.